Minds Matter Portland is an all volunteer organization made up of young professionals who represent many companies and organizations in the Portland area. Our mentors and tutors are the key to our organization and give a significant amount of time every week to help their mentees achieve their dreams.
How you can help!
- Meet with students in a combination of large groups and mentor-mentee teams.
- Mentors and students are paired, 2 mentors to 2 students, in their sophomore year and stay with them through the three year duration of the program.
- This highly personalized format provides consistent support to students and builds meaningful relationships.
- SAT/ACT Test Prep
- Writing & Critical Thinking
- Students are able to find their voice and develop strong personal narratives for their college applications.
- Math Matters
- Students are led in small group curriculum to help improve standardized test scores.
Our Mentors Play the Central Role
Mentoring is fun! There are many volunteer-only get-togethers throughout the year, including happy hours, fundraisers and intramurals – a great way to meet new people and build lasting friendships. It provides an opportunity to take part in an exciting, young and successful organization. We have grown significantly each year, and plan to continue doing so in the future. In addition, you have the opportunity to join the management team and directly contribute to the strategic vision and direction of Minds Matter. You will have access to a strong local network of young professionals in a variety of industries.
Becoming a Volunteer
Mentors and Tutors should be college graduates, attend at least 75% of sessions, communicate with their mentees in and out of sessions, and undergo a background check.
All of our mentors are professionals who work in the Portland area and give their time while pursuing full-time careers. Our volunteers are enthusiastic about the program and committed to working with motivated students to help them achieve their academic pursuits. Our mentors come from diverse career backgrounds from high tech to legal to medical. In addition, several mentors are currently pursuing graduate degrees from local universities.